Surgical Services Support Tech Job
Full Job Title: Surgical services Support Tech
Job Number: 17014633
Facility: SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schedule: Full Time, Evenings
Hours: 2:00PM - 10:30PM
SSM Health St. Louis University Hospital
Surgical Services Support Tech - FT, Evenings
- Performs a variety of technical, environmental and patient care duties under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse. Duties are within the preparation, delivery and cleanup of patient care during the pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative phases.
- These duties are performed in accordance with established hospital and nursing policy and within the legal scope of practice for the unlicensed caregiver.
- The Surgical Services Support Tech is also responsible for cleaning, disinfecting, and housekeeping functions that meets established standards of infection control and insures an environment that is conducive to patient care and is able to do quality work without close supervision.
- Provides direct patient care under the direction of the nurse. Assists in the preparation of the room for surgery, and with preparation of instruments when needed. Assists in case cart preparation and supply management.
- Assists OR room staff in transferring patient to OR table when necessary.
·Assists with patient care asdirected by the R.N.
- Assists in positioning the patient and follows procedure for preparation of patients surgical procedures under the direction of the circulating nurse Provides support for care with ACU/PACU patients as directed by the R.N.
- Ambulates patients as directed by the R.N.
- Follows established procedures and protocols in providing direct patient care
- Makes appropriate decisions that reflect knowledge of facts and good judgement and reports actions to the R.N.
- Provides emergency assistance as required and/or directed by surgeon and/or nursing personnel
- Assists Central Supply Techs with preparation of case carts.
- Assists the instrument room with preparation of instruments.
- Assists Supply Team with stocking and other maintenance of inventory.
- Communicates with the charge nurse regarding room status, availability and operational concerns
- Prepare the unit for cases/procedures under the direction of the charge nurse
- Routes non-functional equipment to proper maintenance department location for repair, noting on equipment what the malfunction appears to be.
Cleaningand Infection Control Taks
·Responsible for cleaning anddisinfecting of the operating room following infection control practices.
·Wipes down all furnitureusing hospital-approved disinfectant
·Mops floors with ahospital-approved germicidal agent, dipping mop one time into bucket andchanging mop heads after each room is cleaned
·Returns all room furnitureand equipment to its proper place.
·Gathering and disposal oflinen and trash. Cleans trash canreceptacles inside and outside each time.
·Changes sharps containerswhen full.
·Cleans all equipment and removesall unneeded equipment from room to proper storage area.
·Assists in moving newequipment needed for the next procedure.
·Is able to respond toemergency cleaning needs or housekeeping requests in a positive, time-orientedmanner.
·Wears appropriate personalprotective equipment when cleaning.
·Cleans isolation rooms forPACU when requested.
Transport andcourier duties.
· Verifies patient location and identification per hospital policy.
- Transports patients following policy and procedure thru out the hospital and surgical services areas as directed
- Checks outer corridor to seeif appropriate patient transportation is ready for the patient following surgery (ICU bed or regular bed)
- Assures that each patientbed/stretcher has an oxygen tank on it
- Assists PACU by transporting patients to the floors when necessary.
- Transports blood to and from blood bank
- Transports specimens to pathology as needed
- Transports equipment/supplies etc. to appropriate areas in safe and efficient manner.
- Minimum Education: High school graduate or GED equivalent and at least 18 years of age. Post High School vocational/specialized training.
- Minimum Experience: Two years hospital related experience with direct patient contact. Knowledge of sterile technique, basic mechanical knowledge for trouble-shooting of equipment used in the operating room.
- BLS (Basic Life Support) certification required.
- Two years' experience in a similar position preferred.
- Working Condition: Must be able to travel to and between operating rooms at a rapid pace. May be required to wear protective clothing such as masks, gowns, and gloves in addition to adhering to the department dress code. Regularly exposed to risk of bloodborne disease. Must be able to work with electrical equipment. May be exposed to hot cold material and chemical agents (see MSDS sheets). Exposure to latex.
- Must be able to work independently and in groups, in a quite or distractible environment, on a structured or unstructured task. Must have good organization, planning, reasoning, judgment, problem-solving, safety awareness skills, and cognitive flexibility.
- Must be able to tolerate prolonged, extensive, or considerable sitting, standing and walking.
- Must be able to carry equipment and supplies.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and pull 100 pounds.
- Must be able to push/maneuver a stretcher, OR table in order to complete their job tasks.
- Must be able to tolerate considerable reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling to retrieve equipment and perform patient treatment.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be able to communicate information in a manner appropriate for intended audience.
- Must have manual dexterity and mobility.
- Must be able to tolerate intermittent exertion when assisting in surgery.
Back to top