Nurse Practitioner - Trauma Job
Full Job Title: Nurse Practitioner Trauma
Job Number: 17014611
Facility: SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schedule: Full Time, Days
- The Trauma Advance Practice Provider reports directly to the Trauma Program Manager and has a collaborative agreement with the trauma surgeons. Working with all appropriate members of the health care team, ensures coordination of patient care through the development and use of patient care and practice standards. Ensures that desired patient outcomes are usually achieved and that variances from established parameters are evaluated and addressed as necessary.
- Performs a wide variety of high-level patient care activities which may include completion of patient assessment and history and physical, development of plan to address physical and psychosocial needs, evaluation of critical path progress and update team as indicated, consult around discharge planning issues, and patient/family teaching. The Advanced Practice Provider is accountable for the clinical outcomes of an assigned caseload
- Performs expert assessments on trauma service patients in an effort to identify actual or potential illness which may impact the course of hospitalization
- Evaluates all appropriate and routine labs, x-rays, EKGs and other comparable non-invasive procedures
- Completes pre-op, discharge and transfer orders as written or per protocol
- Appropriate antibiotic is ordered based on allergy history
- Participate in the development of Patient/Family education – assuring appropriate referrals
- Assesses learning needs related to the care of the trauma patient and provides education opportunities and/or inservices
- Performs procedures as delineated in the collaborative practice agreement.
- Report any concerns to an attending
- Schedules surgeries/procedures as needed
- Coordination and implementation of strategies to manage appropriate lengths of stay and resource consumption for trauma patients in multiple settings.
- Serves as an expert consultant and assists staff in developing a plan of care, incorporating research findings as indicated
- Formulates a plan of care for identified trauma patients in conjunction with the patient, family, or other members of the health care team, payers, and community resources.
- Assesses needs, communicates the plan, evaluates effectiveness, and revises the plan as needed to reflect changing needs, outcome, age and developmental status
- Maintains up-to-date information for the interdisciplinary team regarding resources that are available in the community and the health system for the patients and family
- Participate in discharge planning while managing each patient's transition through the system and transfers accountability to the appropriate person or agency upon discharge
- Completes daily assessments, consults with Trauma team, and documents appropriately in progress notes
- Completes tertiary surveys
- Completes discharge orders which are co-signed by the Medical Staff
- Completes medical record in a timely manner
- Demonstrates leadership ability of advanced clinical practice in the hospital and the community.
- Maintains clinical knowledge through continuous learning
- Provides clinical consultation on complex patients in care conference and discharge planning and other settings when indicated
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team in the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of the clinical care and outcomes of specific patient populations
- Master's Degree in Medical/Surgical Nursing for Advance PracticeNurse or Bachelor's Degree supplemented with 1 year related work experience forPhysician Assistant
- Three years in trauma critical care or emergency nursing
- Required Licensure/Certification: Current MissouriRegistered Nurse and Advance Practice Licensure or current Missouri PhysicianAssistant Licensure
- Preferred TNS, CCRN, CEN, or ATLS
Back to top