Director - Surgical Services Job
Full Job Title: Director Surgical services
Job Number: 17014570
Facility: SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schedule: Full Time, Days
- The Director plans, organizes, and directs operational and administrative activities for the Operating Room.
- Implements policies, procedures, standards and regulations for nursing personnel, patients, medical staff and the public.
- Participates in hospital committees in formulating general policies and interprets these policies to personnel in Surgical Services.
- Sets priorities, develops goals or objectives; develops plans and actions, directs flow of work and delegates jobs to appropriate levels of staff.
- Effectively plans and organizes work and duties of self and others to achieve specific results.
- Establishes and implements policies and procedures for functional operation of the department.
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of department reports.
- Follows established standards of practice in providing for the preoperative care of patients and supporting the needs of their families.
- Demonstrates the ability to take initiative and responsibility; communicates goals and objectives; recognizes contributions; and provides an example for others to follow.
- In conjunction with other Nursing Managers defines the Hospital philosophy of Nursing and assures it is integrated into the delivery of perioperative care on a daily basis by assuring all staff are informed and committed to that concept.
- Ensures the efficient, economic and quality performance of assigned departments/areas of responsibility to support or provide quality health care for children, adolescents and adults.
- Delegates functions appropriately encouraging staff to take ownership of those responsibilities.
- Active participation on committees as assigned.
- Demonstrates the ability to establish performance expectations; monitor performance; provide feedback; take corrective action; provide coaching/training; and resolve departmental conflicts.
- Selects, orients and assigns department staff (either directly or through designee).
- Develops standards and evaluates performance, and initiates or makes recommendations for personnel actions.
- Motivates and inspires employees to accomplish goals and objectives of department and hospital.
- Represents Surgical Services at Nurse Practice Council, Department Administrative Meeting, Operating Room committee, and other Departmental/committee meetings as assigned.
- Demonstrates the ability to coordinate work across departmental lines; shares resources; and works with peers to reduce conflict, duplication or waste, build a climate of trust.
- Collaboratively works with peers and others to set and achieve interdepartmental/organizational goals and resolve barriers to interdepartmental/organizational performance.
- Recommends changes in administrative policies to carry out hospital objectives more effectively.
- Interprets, supports, and implements organizational decisions, policies, and procedures to staff.
- Graduate from accredited school ofnursing; Master's required.
- MO license in the State of Missourirequired.
- At least 5 years nursing managementexperience; demonstrated management skills; computer skills.
- Member of professional organizationssuch as AORN preferred.
Back to top