Charge RN - Endoscopy Job
Full Job Title: Registered Nurse Charge Endoscopy
Job Number: 17012680
Facility: SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schedule: Full Time, 8 Hour Day
Hours: 7:00AM - 3:00PM
SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital
Charge RN - FT, Days
- The Charge Nurse is responsible for the development of team members and ensures that quality care is delivered to the patients in the Endoscopy Dept (Endo) in a cost efficient manner. The Charge Nurse is a professional practitioner who assesses,manages, directs, and provides nursing care activities for all patients presenting to Endo/Surgical Services, and coordinates care planning with other disciplines utilizing a patient / customer driven approach.
- Responsible for providing feedback to manager on clinical performance and teamwork, supply and environment issues, system delays, technology failure and other items as indicated.
- Coordinates staffing for patient care on the unit for that shift. Reviews staffing plan for the next 24 hours using OptiLink to anticipate and plan for projected patient care needs.
- Communicates budget and productivity expectations and encourages team members to participate in reengineering efforts.
- Updates Kronos record weekly to include PTO and EDU.
- Assists Assistant Director with human resource functions such as first line counseling and performance evaluation.
- Ensures appropriate skill mix to meet patient needs. Will make adjustments in schedule and staffing according to patient census and/or acuity.
- Ensures that appropriate supplies/resources to support team functions are available.
- Delegates daily staff assignments and departmental functions when indicated.
- Resource to assist staff with optimizing documentation of patient care and / or procedures to maximize reimbursement.
- Uses resources efficiently. Prioritizes responsibilities and completes work on time.
- Utilizes non-clinical time in a constructive manner, i.e. completing chart audits, .edu, mandatory education requirements, and encourages team members to do same.
· Supports anenvironment conducive to teamwork and customer service.
- Promotes a positive team-oriented working environment through clear, objective, and tactful communication.
· Exemplifiesexcellent customer relations toward patients, family members, visitors,physicians and employees. Holds staffaccountable for conformity to "Service Excellence".
· Responsible for assuring team achievescustomer satisfaction targets; involves team members in obtaining goal.
· Communicates with OR and in-patient nursingdepartments charge staff to determine patient needs and disposition of patient.
· Responsible forupdating waiting room volunteer and family members with patient progress anddisposition.
- Ensures quality of patient care services.
· Facilitatescompliance with regulatory / professional standards.
- Ensures team compliance with change implementation as we work to improve the delivery of patient care in Surgical Services.
- Communicates effectively with physicians, peers, co-workers, interdisciplinary team and other hospital personnel to establish and promote standards of care. Recognizes patient / family, physician, or staff concerns and intervenes appropriately.
- Assists with team developments of quality assurance and continuous quality improvement.
- Meets target goals on balanced score card.
- Keeps Assistant Director / Director of Nursing /Administrative Supervisor up to date with critical changes and unit events as required.
- Rounds on patients to ensure that those noted to be a Fall Risk, elopement risk, or harmful to self or others are being monitored closely and all appropriate interventions have been initiated.
· Responsible forthe development of personnel in conjunction with appropriate team members.
· Supports aneffective orientation program.
- Provides feedback on performance to staff on a frequent basis.
- Promotes and supports learning opportunities for staff both internally and externally.
- Includes staff through mutually agreed upon mechanisms in decision-making.
- Establishes/maintains an effective communication system.
- Performs comprehensive nursing assessment / reassessment
· Performsage-appropriate and other assessments on all patients presenting to theEndoscopy Unit. Obtains input fromfamily/guardian as appropriate.
· Determinespriority of care of each patient based upon assessment findings.
· Accurately andcompletelydocuments findings.
· Assesses anddocuments education and discharge needs of patient and family on admission andthroughout the patient's stay.
· Provides patientreassessment documenting pertinent observations according to the patient planof care, changes in condition, status and /or diagnosis, response to care,procedures, etc., and standards of care. Documents reassessment findings at time of patient discharge or transferfrom the Endoscopy Department.
- Establishes, coordinates and evaluatesa plan of care based on analysis of assessment data, patient diagnosis, lab data, tests, procedures,physician orders,protocols and standards of care and other information as relevant.
· Provides anddocuments nursing interventions based on assessed patient needs, plan of care,and changes in patient status.
· Collaborates withappropriate health team members for coordination of plan of care for assignedpatients.
· Provides,coordinates and communicates patient care, including accurate HandoffCommunication Reports (SBAR).
· Administers anddocuments medications accurately according to policies and procedures.
· Monitors, maintains and documents accurate IV fluids,blood, and blood products according to policies and procedures.
· Completesreferrals as indicated by assessmentdata.
· Requestsconsultation for special needs, equipment, or information for patient and/orfamily.
· Provides patient/ family education and discharge planning per documentation guidelines andprotocol, if needed.
· Clarifies all physician orders as warranted.
· Transcribes andimplements physician orders in an accurate and timely manneras evidenced by documentation in themedical record.
· Assists physicianwith procedures/ treatments as requested or delegates as appropriate.
· Takes telephone/verbal orders only in emergencysituations.
· Recognizeschanges in patient's condition and takes appropriate nursing actions.
· Involves thefamily / guardian when providing care and in decision-making as appropriate.
· Recognizes risksforpatient and takes appropriateaction.
· Incorporates useof Charge Nurse Huddle daily.
- Documents and or communicates nursing care and or changes in patient condition.
- Performs and documents ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of care based on assessment data, nursing interventions, and patient response to medications, treatments and procedures.
- Communicates with patient/family to elicit essential information with accuracy and timeliness to ensure safe, quality patient care.
- Evaluates plan of care and modifies as indicated in "A" above.
- Recognizes significant changes in patient's clinical parameters and reports immediately to physician and others as indicated.
- Identifies problems, gathers pertinent data, suggests solutions, communicates using appropriate lines of authority, and works toward problem resolution.
- Reports variation from care / treatment following the occurrence reporting policy and procedures.
- Coordinates with patient placement anticipated bed needs for inpatients.
- Facilitates discharge/transfer of recovery patients with ancillary areas, not limited to OR.
Minimum/Preferred Education: RN licensure in the State of Missouri. Minimum 1 year ICU experience.
Required licensure/certification: CurrentMissouri Registered Professional Nurse license required. BLS. ACLS.
Working Conditions: Maybe exposed to the risk of blood borne diseases. Exposure to unpleasant elements (accidents, injuries, and illness). Subject to varying and unpredictablesituations. Handles emergency and crisissituations. Subject to irregular hours.
Physical Requirements: Occasionalprolonged standing/walking. Occasionallylifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients. Occasional reaching, stooping, bending,kneeling, crouching.
Back to top